In Greek cuisine are several plates that are gluten-free by their origin.
You can download free here, this gluten free travel card in order to inform about celiac disease in the Greek language.
I have celiac disease and I have to follow a gluten-free diet.
I must certainly not consume food
containing wheat flour, wheat grains, rye,
barley, oats, bread, toasted bread, beer, pasta,
If I consume them I risk getting sick
I can freely eat food that contains
rice, corn, potatoes, vegetables, fruits, eggs,
dairy, fish, and meat if they do not contain or have been cooked with any of the above ingredients.
If you do not know or you are not absolutely sure
for ingredients please inform me.
Thank you very much for your understanding and your help.
Below you can find a list of them:
- Briam: a beautiful all-veggie dish with zucchini, eggplant, potatoes, and a tomato sauce with oregano, onions, and garlic, all together cooked in the oven. No flour is used in the recipe. It’s very tasty!
- Grilled fish, squid, and Octopus (You can ask to use a clean of gluten cook rack)
- Grilled meat (you can ask to use a clean of gluten cook rack)
- Gyro Pork, Gyro Chicken, Chicken Souvlaki, Pork Souvlaki
- All the salads (ask them not to add crackers or couscous if you read them on the menu)
- All cheeses except saganaki cheese and croquettes cheese fried with wheat flour.
- Fava (split peas)
- Gemista: tomatoes and peppers stuffed with rice and herbs
- Zucchini In Egg Lemon Sauce
- Roasted or fried potatoes
- Stuffed with minced meat, rice, and fresh herbs
- Yogurt With Honey
- Taramosalata: this dip is made from tarama, the salted and cured roe of cod fish, or carp (only if it is made with potato and not with bread. You can ask in order to be sure)
Tips for a Celiac in Greece
Saganaki Cheese – is cheese cooked saganaki style is pan-friend and coated in flour. In general, when you see “Saganaki” it means that it is fried using flour.
Moussaka (mousaká – μουσακά) includes a creamy Bechamel sauce that is thickened with wheat flour. But you can ask if the Bechamel is cooked with wheat flour or with corn flour that is safe for celiac people.
Papoutsakia (Melitzanes papoutsakia – παπουτσάκια) – includes a creamy Bechamel sauce that is thickened with wheat flour. But you can ask if the Bechamel is cooked with wheat flour or with corn flour that is safe for celiac people.
Meat Balls (Keftedes), tomatokeftedes, kolokithokeftedes – Perfectly fried balls of meat for meatballs, with tomato for tomatokeftedes, and with zucchini for kolokithokeftedes, but all of them contain bread crumbs or wheat flour. In general, whatever is -keftedes contains bread crumbs or wheat flour.
At this link you can find the Map with the Restaurants and Shops with Gluten-free menu and products
*The places suggested are not certified by us.
List with Restaurant with Gluten-free menu
- Nudie Foodie Psiri: Eschilou 42, Athina 105 54, Greece
- GREEK STORIES: Makrigianni 19-21, Athina 117 42, Greece
- Arcadia: Makrigianni 27, Athina 117 42, Greece 117 42
- Lithos Tavern: Esopou 17, Athina 105 54, Greece 105 54
- Avocado: Nikis 30, Athina 105 57, Greece 105 57
- Greche: Mitropoleos 16, Athina 105 63, Greece
- Γελαστό κρεμμύδι – Gelasto Kremmidi: Eth. Antistaseos 30, Vrilissia 152 38, Greece
- Marinos Kosmas Pastry and Bakery: Irakleous 27, Nikea 184 51, Greece
- Hard Rock Cafe: Adrianou 52, Athina 105 55, Greece
- Δ. ΘΑΝΟΠΟΥΛΟΣ Α.Ε.: Elaion 38, Kifisia 145 64, Greece
- Στάθης & Γιώτα: Ichous 46, Paleo Faliro 175 64, Greece
- Porto Grill: Akti Posidonos 40, Pireas 185 31, Greece
- Yi: Grigoriou Lampraki 69, Glifada 166 75, Greece
- Ice Queen Gelato: Makrigianni 9, Athina 117 42, Greece 117 42
- Rakor: Plateon 10, Athina 104 35, Greece
- Mama Tierra: Greece, Akadimias 84, Athina 106 78, Greece
- Stani: Marikas Kotopouli 10, Athina 104 32, Greece
- Slim Bites: Patriarchou Ioakim 37, Athina 106 75, Greece
- Ζαχαροπλαστείο Ηρώ | Iro pastry shop: Eth. Antistaseos 28, Vrilissia 152 35, Greece
- Veganaki: Athanasiou Diakou 38 (38, Athina 117 43, Greece 117 43
Have a nice time in Greece!